OMAHA, Neb. – A total of 14 Alabama swimmers are slated to compete at the United States Swimming Olympic Team Trials Wave II starting Sunday for a spot on Team USA and a trip to the Tokyo Olympics.
It is a new look for the U.S. Olympic Trials, with the road to Tokyo split into two different “Waves” in 2021. Wave I, which USA Swimming has dubbed “wildcard weekend,” ran from June 4-7, while Wave II, which will be held June 13-20, will produce the USA Olympic Team.
Alabama head coach Margo Geer, who was at Wave I of trials with Trey Sheils and Gracie Felner, is back this with one of the Crimson Tide’s largest U.S. Olympic Team Trials contingents in recent memory.
The Alabama squad includes Cora Dupre, Morgan Liberto, Kensey McMahon, Morgan Scott, Rhyan White and Cat Wright for the women and Matt King, Derek Maas, Jake Marcum, Matt Menke, Christopher O’Connor, Nicholas Perera, Tyler Sesvold and Eric Stelmar for the men.
Head Coach Margo Geer Said
“It is great to be back in Omaha for Wave II of the U.S. Olympic Trials with such big group of swimmers and coaches. The venue is extremely well put together and I have no doubt the atmosphere will be electric once competition begins. This is the fourth US Olympic Trials I have been a part of and it truly is a meet unlike any other. The competition is fierce, and the stakes are high. We wouldn’t want it any other way. The team is well prepared and excited to compete. As a staff we are very proud of all the work that the student-athletes have put in leading up to this point and we are ready to go head-to-head with the best in the United States.
Current Alabama Swimmers at the USA Olympic Trials Wave II
- Cora Dupre, 100m and 200m backstroke, 50m and 100m freestyle
- Matt King, 50m and 100m freestyle
- Morgan Liberto, 100m and 200m backstroke
- Derek Maas, 100m and 200m breaststroke and 100m butterfly
- Kensey McMahon, 400m, 800m, 1500m freestyle, 400m individual medley
- Matt Menke, 100m backstroke
- Christopher O’Connor, 100m and 200m backstroke
- Nicholas Perera, 200m and 400m individual medley
- Morgan Scott, 50, 100m and 200m freestyle, 100m backstroke
- Tyler Sesvold, 100m butterfly
- Eric Stelmar, 100m and 200m backstroke
- Rhyan White, 100m and 200m backstroke, 100m butterfly
- Cat Wright, 100m breaststroke, 200m individual medley
- Preliminaries start at 10 a.m. CT on Sunday, with the evening session getting underway at 6:45 p.m. CT
- The Crimson Tide opens Wave II of the USA Swimming Olympic Team Trials with prelims swims in four of the five events
- Men’s 400-meter individual medley – Nicholas Perera
- Women’s 100-meter butterfly – Rhyan White
- Women’s 400-meter individual medley – Kensey McMahon
- Men’s 100-meter breaststroke – Derek Maas
For all the latest information on the Alabama swimming and diving teams, follow AlabamaSwimDive on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. General athletic news can be found @UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and Alabama Athletics on Facebook.