The claim: Video shows Joe Biden reading ‘end of quote’ from a teleprompter
Critics of Joe Biden are taking the president’s comments out of context on social media to make it seem like he forgot he was reading off a teleprompter.
A viral clip shows Biden saying, “Because of the actions we have taken, things have begun to change. End of quote.”
“Joe Biden reads ‘end of quote’ off the teleprompter never saw Trump doing that,” reads the caption of a Nov. 23 video shared to Facebook by The Committee to Defeat the President, a conservative super PAC.
Special access for subscribers! Click here to sign up for our fact-check text chat
But the clip is misleading. While Biden did read “end of quote” during a speech, the full context of his remarks show he was quoting the CEO of Walmart U.S.
The Facebook page that shared the video did not return a request for comment.
Biden was quoting someone else
The clip of Biden saying “end of quote” was taken from a roughly 11-minute speech on Nov. 23, in which he addressed inflation and discussed the state of the U.S. economy ahead of Thanksgiving.
While Biden did say “end of quote” at one point during his remarks, the full video and transcript show he was quoting Walmart U.S. CEO John Furner.
“You may have heard the CEO of Walmart yesterday on the steps we’ve taken,” Biden said during the speech. “He said, and I quote, ‘The combination of private enterprise and government working together has been really successful.’ He went on to say, ‘All the way through the supply chain, there’s … a lot of innovation.’ Because of the actions we’ve taken, things have begun to change. End of quote.”
The statement Biden was referencing stems from a Nov. 22 MSNBC interview, when Furner was questioned about how to solve supply chain issues.
USA TODAY has previously fact-checked videos that critique Biden based on videos taken out of context..
USA TODAY reached out to the White House for comment.
Our rating: Missing context
Based on our research, we rate MISSING CONTEXT the claim that a video shows Biden reading “end of quote” from a teleprompter, because without additional details it is misleading. Biden said “end of quote” because he was referencing a statement made by the CEO of Walmart U.S. Edited versions of the clip omit that context and suggest he mistakenly said “end of quote.”
Our fact-check sources:
- The White House, Nov. 23, YouTube
- The White House, Nov. 23, Remarks by President Biden on the Economy and Lowering Prices for the American People
- The White House, Nov. 23, Tweet
- Emilie Simons, Nov. 22, Tweet
- The White House, July 19, Remarks by President Biden on the Economy
- The White House, Oct. 26, Remarks by President Biden at Grassroots Event with Terry McAuliffe
- The White House, Oct. 28, Remarks by President Biden Announcing the Framework for His Build Back Better Agenda and Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill
- The White House, Nov. 11, Remarks by President Biden at the National Veterans Day Observance
- The White House, Nov. 22, Remarks by President Biden Announcing his Nominees for Chair and Vice Chair of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
- USA TODAY, May 30, Fact check: Video of Biden discussing Jesus, the American Revolution and airports is missing context
- Fox News, Jan. 20, Pro-Trump super PAC transforming into anti-Biden group
Thank you for supporting our journalism. You can subscribe to our print edition, ad-free app, or electronic newspaper replica here.
Our fact-check work is supported in part by a grant from Facebook.